Tuesday, April 25, 2006

ANZAC

It would not be Australian not to remember those who gave their lives for us.

I like most was not born here, my father & grandfathers all served in WW2. My father's dad was wounded in WW1 and again in WW2. In the very early part of the war, after he came back he had many operations and was left like a stroke victim paralysed down one side. He taught himself to walk with the aid of his greyhound pulling is paralysed side along. He was a very determined man, this did have an upside hen the dog was not pulling the old man it flu. Winning many races for them but that is another story.

My maternal grandfather was rescued off Dunkirk it was almost 40 years before he could stand being on water again. After he moved here he would get seasick got to Manly on the ferry. He was a transport sergeant told many funny stories of how one of his trucks was mostly for his collection of motorbikes he found on his travels.

My dad was on occupation duty after the war he was in Italy then later in Egypt

They are the men who were around while I grew up. My grandfather who was wounded did the year after we came to Australia. I was a lot longer than they thought he would last.

War is never a good thing; it from time to time is a necessary thing. It has a very high price and usually paid by the young.

We live in times where what the world is and how it is, and what it is needs to be remembered the price that was paid for by those who paid it.

Unfortunately people forget, other choose to close their eyes.

I am a member of an RSL club, and from time to time I am there for the Ode

Which says: “At the going down of the sun, we that are left shall remember them”

“Lest we forget”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home