Friday, March 31, 2006

This week Show 3rd April

This is Danny's last show for a while.
I thought we would talk about mentoring and the like.


Why do we need them, what makes a good mentor?
Then we will see what Danny will leave us when he say farewell for now.

Mentor, coach have you got someone you let talk to you?

There are a few professional people who you should let help mentor you.

After all you give them you hard earned money so perhaps listening at a different level may be to your advantage?

Your accountant

Your legal advisor

Your business consultant

Your?

They are all there for your benefit; you should possible look to have a slightly different attitude towards them.

Don’t be intimidated by their knowledge, or their perceived standing.

If you and others like you weren’t paying them where would they be?

So they are there for your benefit. Look at them as advisors not as something special

You will get a lot more out of your relationship & they will enjoy it more themselves.

They usually ask have you any more questions ask them.
Be open to their advice that is what you pay for.

Join a networking group.

Start playing golf or something where you can talk to peers in a relaxed atmosphere.


There many breakfast clubs and lunch or dinner events where you can do this.

Read there are countless books. Information on the WWW blogs and the list goes on.

When I was growing up my mentor (not that I knew it at the time) was my grandfather. He was the one I looked to, I wanted to emulate. The funny thing is my brother who is a considerably younger than me also picked our grandfather to emulate.

Your mentor doesn’t even need to know that he is your mentor you glen things from them without them knowing.

Most times it can look like friendship or mateship and both of you can benefit from the relationship.

1 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good old 'advice'.

I loved the saying I saw pinned up on a wall once; "Advice should only be given on 2 occassions 1) When its asked for 2) When its a matter of life and death."

Simplified I know but there is a lot of truth in it.

I'm not an arrogant person but it never ceases to amaze me (and be an enormous sense of irritation at times!) just how quick so many people are to jump in uninvited to give others advice.

It seems the art of just plain listening or the art of the listener to have faith in the person talking that "they will be able to make a sensible decision themselves" or that sometimes people just need to make their own mistakes is gift owned by so few but appreciated by so many.

Lord, free us from control freaks, no matter how well intentioned!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home